The process of probate in NYC is quite different from other states. The primary reason behind the indifference is that the laws of every state influence the process. Hence, when you have assets in New York City, always hire a probate NYC lawyer for executing your will. After you die, a probate lawyer can help your surviving family members distribute your assets and, at the same time, settle all the debts. If you are wondering how a probate lawyer can help you, don’t panic, we are here to help you. Read further to learn everything about a probate NYC lawyer.
Who Is A Probate Lawyer?
The other name of the probate lawyer is an estate attorney or estate lawyer. He/she helps the executors of the estate manage the probate process. The probate lawyer also assists in estate planning, giving advice, or serving as an executor or administrator. His/her main job is drafting of wills or living trusts for his personal representative. He/she is a state-licensed attorney who settles the final affairs of a deceased person. A probate lawyer is responsible for helping his/her representative through the entire process of probation. He/she devotes his/her services to the representatives from start to end.
What Does A Probate NYC Lawyer Do For You?
The service of a probate lawyer comes into being after his/her personal representative passes away. His/her job is to disburse in a manner consistent with state laws, the will of the deceased person. Altogether, a probate NYC lawyer will help you in the following:
- A probate lawyer will help you write you will as per the state laws of New York City. Such a lawyer also synchronizes the documenting process of will. He/she also walks you through all the necessary formalities through which a will can be implemented. Therefore always consult a probate lawyer who is well versed with laws of New York City to help you with all applicable laws.
- While planning your estate, you are expected to evaluate all your properties and assets by yourself. You can take the help of a probate lawyer to evaluate your estate. With his/her help, you can conveniently start planning your estate.
- When you start planning your estate, it’s imperative to account for every asset and property. Proper accounting of assets helps you determine its monetary worth. When the accounting begins, you become liable for the payment of estate, bills, expenses, and bills. Also, all these bills, debts, and taxes have to be paid before any asset is distributed to any of the beneficiaries. A probate New York City lawyer helps you go through all these things and accounts for your assets and properties.
- You need to go through a bundle of documents when you prepare your will. A probate lawyer can help you make all the estate planning documents such as the power of attorney, living trusts, and advance medical derivatives.
- After you have taken your heavenly abode, your probate lawyer reads your will in front of all your family members. He/she further distributes the estate assets to them and hands over all the necessary documents.
- When needed, a New York City probate lawyer can also act as the estate administrator or executor if a valid will is not available or absent.
Probate Lawyer’s Responsibility, If There Is A Will Contest?
The process of probating seems to be very smooth, but it is never this smooth. When a will comes into the Surrogate court for probation, the court notifies all the interested parties. This notification allows the interested parties to dictate the object of the will. When the purpose of the will comes into question, it is known as a will contest. Any displeased or dissatisfied party can initiate a contest if he feels that the decedent underwent coercion or undue influence. An interested party can also contest a will if he is of the opinion that the deceased was not mentally fit to have written or signed such a will. All such issues pose a grave challenge for all the parties concerned. Hence a probate NYC lawyer comes into the picture. He/she is well versed and capable of handling all these matters and helps you in every step.
There is more than you expect from a probate NYC lawyer. He can make everything a cakewalk for you and make an appropriate estate plan. No matter what financial situation you are in today, contact a probate lawyer to help you through the entire process.